What does it mean to pass the guard in BJJ?
In pure grappling combat sports, the guard is considered an advantageous position, because the bottom combatant can attack with various joint locks and chokeholds, while the top combatant’s priority is the transition into a more dominant position, a process known as passing the guard.
What do you do in someone’s closed guard?
- look to stand as soon as possible.
- hide your legs when you stand to avoid being knocked off balance.
- immediately break the angle when you stand to avoid being swept.
- stand up tall, so you don’t provide a shelf for their legs.
- hang them from the collar grip.
- use your free arm and shake open the guard.
Is half guard good for MMA?
Many people want to try and pass and get out of closed guard in MMA so you see them getting into the half guard. Half guard is a great defensive position where you are able to avoid a lot of damage if you understand the principles of a good half, and the half guard is excellent for sweeping.
How many Jiu Jitsu techniques are there?
There are more than 600 techniques in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, and mastery of them all would take a lifetime of dedicated study. However, many of these techniques make more sense in a competitive setting than in real-world applications.