What do you do in someone’s closed guard?
- look to stand as soon as possible.
- hide your legs when you stand to avoid being knocked off balance.
- immediately break the angle when you stand to avoid being swept.
- stand up tall, so you don’t provide a shelf for their legs.
- hang them from the collar grip.
- use your free arm and shake open the guard.
Is closed guard a good position?
Closed guard can be very effective against new players as they will have a weaker base to posture with. It is also excellent at maintaining guard if the practitioner is stuborn about not opening the guard and pulling the opponent down. This can stifle your opponent advancing position and slow down the game.